Safer Internet Day 2023!

Year 2 / Dosbarth Gwennol

We celebrated Safer Internet Day by all attending a special assembly led by Mrs Blower. She explained to us the importance of talking about what we do online in order to stay safe.

$CoMmEntP:

We identified and gave examples of personal details.  We discussed and sorted details that should be kept private and offline and details that are safe to share online. 

$CoMmEntP:

We discussed who we could trust if something happened that made us feel sad, worried, uncomfortable or frightened online. We drew pictures of our trusted adults.

We described how we should behave online and in pairs we wrote recipes to help create a kinder internet

$CoMmEntP:
$CoMmEntP:

A Step back in time!

Children were visited by Julie and Laura from Knighton Museum. They bought a variety of artefacts from the 1940’s for the children to look at and handle.

Writing our book!

We worked with Peter to complete our story. We talked about Les Nabb’s identity card from last week and that it was his birthday today. We created a book to help him and the other evacuees from Liverpool. The book included a map of Knighton, pictures of the town and rules of the countryside. We also made him a birthday card. We travelled back in time to 1939 to deliver his card. When we arrived we were at Les Nabb’s 9th birthday party. We gave Les his book and birthday cards and we played ‘Stations’, a game from the 1930’s.

Then the sheep escaped from the field and we had to help the evacuees and the local children find them. Then it was time to return to 2023 just in time for home time.

Sports Council Club!

Children in Year 2 and 3 were really excited to be chosen by our Sports Council Ambassadors to be involved in their lunchtime sports club. They enjoyed a range of games aimed at improving their balance and co-ordination.

Jiving with Emily George!

We have been Learning to Jive with Emily George.ย  We listened carefully to Glen Millerโ€™s โ€˜In the Moodโ€™ and we created our own โ€˜Jiveโ€™ moves to accompany it.

Evacuation Rap

In groups, we have been learning the โ€˜Evacuation Rapโ€™.

I wanna tell you a story about evacuation

I found myself at Knighton station.

Dressed in my best with my coat and tag

And a few little essentials in my bag.

We arrived at the station hungry and tired

My head was buzzing I felt I was wired

We all lined up and went down the lane

And thatโ€™s when my heart began to cry in pain,

I didnโ€™t want to go and leave my mum,

I wish that this war could soon be won

A new home and family lay ahead

And here is the day that I now dread.

Would they treat me nice

Would they be so kind

Will it be tidy

Guess I really donโ€™t mind

Parent/Carer Questionnaire feedback Spring 2023

Thank you to everyone that completed the parent/carer questionnaire that was sent out at the beginning of the term. We very much value your feedback- thank you for all the positive comments that have been provided and for those comments that will help us to make our school environment and culture even better for all stakeholders.

QuestionVery PoorPoorOkayGoodVery Good
How good is our school at making your child feel happy and safe?1% (1)0%3% (3)22% (20)73% (66)
How good is our school at helping your child with their learning; providing sufficient support and challenge to help them do well?0%0%  4% (4)38% (34)58% (52)
How good is our school at encouraging your child to be healthy and to take regular exercise? *1 no answer0%0%6% (5)28% (25)66% (59)
How good is our school at providing ways of helping you communicate with staff?0%1% (1)11% (10)  30% (27)58% (52)
How good is our school at helping to develop wellbeing and positive behaviour in your class? *1 no answer0%0%4% (4)29% (26)66% (59)
How good is our school at developing values and attitudes that have a positive impact on your childโ€™s learning? *1 no answer0%0%7% (6)26% (23)67% (60)

SPRING 2023 (90 parent/carer questionnaires returned)

Making up stories!

Today we were visited by Peter Duncan who worked with the children to create a shared story. When the children arrived back into the classroom after break they were greeted by a tunnel and a letter. They investigated the area and read the letter. The letter contained identity tags and a letter. The children concluded that the letter and the identity tags must have been from an evacuee. So they decided to go through the tunnel and step back in time to 1939. They were all transported back to Knighton Train Station when a train of evacuees were arriving from Liverpool. They were met by Mr Thompson who was a busy man trying to arrange host families for the evacuees to stay with. Luckily, the children had time to interview Mr Thompson before they returned back to 2023….just in time for lunch!

Jigsaw with Mrs Rimmer

The children had the pleasure of Mrs Rimmer leading their PSHE Jigsaw session on Wednesday. The aim of the session was to show pupils that working with others helps us to learn. So, Mrs Rimmer set them a variety of challenges to work on in a group or with their partner. Some of the challenges included learning the Macarena dance, counting in 2’s in French, learning ‘the owl and the pussycat’ and counting to ten in Mandarin. I was really proud of how the children rose to the challenges and achieved their goals together.